Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Chicken Tinola, a little bit of childhood.

I made chicken tinola, a filipino dish with chicken, chayote, and ginger with chicken broth. My mother used to make this dish a lot when I was a child, especially during winter. Considering the weather in San Jose has been a mite chilly of late, this is definitely a dish that warms the body. :) My hubby who is still getting used to filipino food ate it. My two babies love it. It's really easy on their little tummies.

Chicken Tinola

3 to 4 lbs. chicken, cut into pieces (I used about 8 bone-in thighs.)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced.
4-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced.
5 c. water
2 tbsp. of vegetable oil or in my case, canola
2 tbsp. of fish sauce, I used squid brand.
4 green chayote squash,peeled and sliced
5 potatoes,peeled and quartered
dash of pepper

Peel and cut the chayote into sliced. Peel and quarter the potatoes.

In a 6-quart stock pot, heat the oil. Add the garlic and saute. Add the onion and ginger. Saute until onion is translucent.

Place the chicken into the pot, stirring occasionally to meld the flavors. Stir in the fish sauce and pepper. Brown the chicken a bit, 4-5 minutes.

Pour in the water and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until chicken is throughly cooked.

Skim off the fat that comes up.

Add vegetables and bring it to a boil once again. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until chayote and potatoes are tender but firm.

Serve with rice.

I like to season my tinola with a combination of fish sauce and lemon juice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment