Sunday, January 7, 2007

Yasukochi's Coffee Crunch Cake


Saturday afternoon, my mom, my husband, the babies and i went to SF Japantown...in search of the beloved BLUM'S Coffee Crunch Cake my mom had long coveted. First stop we make is to Yasukochi's Sweet Stop, located in the Super Mira grocery store. The owner,Yasukochi,was there today. He was really sweet and friendly, considering we were there just at the last minute. My mom was really excited and decided to purchase the Coffee Crunch after delegating with about what cake she wanted: either the mocha or the coffee. I said you should get the coffee one, since you've missed it for how long. We were talking to the owner about how my mom heard about the cake from tv and that how she was missing BLUM's special cakes, since BLUM's had closed its doors in '69 or '70...she was soo elated that Yasukochi's still made these cakes. He had mentioned EYE ON THE BAY and had numerous news clippings about his bakery on the counter. And said counters were practically empty! There were only few cakes left, and we had gotten the last Coffee Crunch cake!

The cake was $22.00 and worth every penny and every yummy bite.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, I still dream of the Blum's Coffee Crunch Cake we would receive if we were very grown up little girls visiting with our mother and her grown up lady friends at Blum's in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete